TORONTO — Budweiser Canada announced yesterday it will redirect a portion of its previously planned sports investments to the Canadian Red Cross to help support the heroes on the frontlines in response to the COVID-19 public-health crisis.
The company will donate $500,000 to the Canadian Red Cross Fund, which will support five key areas directly related to COVID-19.
Areas of support include:
- distributing emergency supplies such as cots, blankets and hygiene kits upon request by local authorities
- providing emotional and psychosocial support via phone and referring Canadians to specialized mental-health care
- exploring a potential role in training for essential frontline personnel (community workers) on the use of masks, gloves and gowns
- supporting the distribution of financial assistance to those eligible through government programs in Quebec and New Brunswick.
- helping people through the uncertainty by providing key information and referrals to available assistance
“Canadian Red Cross volunteers and staff are currently responding to emerging needs across the country as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to preparing for the possibility of floods, wildfires and other disasters that may affect people over the spring and summer months,” says Melanie Soler, vice-president of Emergency Management, Canadian Red Cross. “This generous gift from Budweiser Canada will help the Canadian Red Cross continue its vital work in supporting those most vulnerable during these very challenging times.”