TORONTO — Canada’s 100 Best has unveiled its annual list of top Canadian restaurants.
The 2018 list was announced and celebrated at a special launch event in Toronto, where Toronto’s Alo restaurant was named Canada’s number-1 restaurant for the second consecutive year. Durring the event, held at Mildred’s Temple Kitchen, Bar Raval was also awarded the number-1 spot on the publication’s inaugural 50 Best Bars list.
“Every year we’re able to promote exceptional Canadian cuisine and talent, and with the addition of the 50 best bars list, we’re proud to recognize the finest in both food and drink,” says Jacob Richler, editor-in-chief, Canada’s 100 Best.
The top-10 restaurants for 2018 are:
1. Alo, Toronto
2. Toqué!, Montreal
3. Joe Beef, Montreal
4. Buca Yorkville, Toronto
5. Langdon Hall, Cambridge, Ont.
6. Montréal Plaza, Montreal
7. Raymonds, St. John’s
8. Le Vin Papillon, Montreal
9. Edulis, Toronto
10. Kissa Tanto, Vancouver
The top-10 bars for 2018 are:
1. Bar Raval, Toronto
2. The Keefer Bar, Vancouver
3. Coldroom, Montreal
4. Proof, Calgary
5. The Bar at Alo, Toronto
6. Lot Six Bar & Restaurant, Halifax
7. Bar Von Der Fels, Calgary
8. Pretty Ugly, Toronto
9. Clementine, Edmonton
10. The Woodcutter’s Blanket, Whitehorse
In addition to the best-of lists, the event also honoured industry excellence with a series of annual awards. 2018 award winners include:
• Lifetime Achievement Award — Lynn Crawford
• Most Innovative Chef — Marc Lepine (Atelier)
• Outstanding Chef — Patrick Kriss (Alo)
• Best Farm to Table — Michael Smith (FireWorks Feast at the Inn at Bay Fortune)
• Best New Restaurant — La Banane (Chef Brandon Olsen)
• Best Pastry Chef — Daniel Mongraw (Toqué!)
• Best New Restaurant Design — Maya Gohill (Calcutta Cricket Club)
• Best Sommelier — Vanya Filipovic (Joe Beef)
• Most Eco-Friendly Restaurant — Actinolite (chef Justin Cournoyer)
The complete 2018 ranking is available at canadas100best.com.