TORONTO — The Ontario chapter of the Canadian Association of Professional Sommeliers (CAPS) announced the top-five finalists who will compete in the Best Ontario Sommelier Competition 2019.
Following a preliminary competition held March 24 in both Ottawa and Toronto — featuring a written exam and both wine and spirits blind tastings — the top five finalists are:
- José Luis Fernández — Hamilton Golf and Country Club
- Julie Garton — Café Boulud, Four Seasons Toronto
- Sam Melanson — Grand Cru Deli, Somm Factory, Toronto
- Bill Mochoruk — Backhouse Restaurant, Niagara
- Rachael Picard — Fresh Restaurants, Toronto
The five sommelier finalists will compete in front of a live audience of wine professionals and the public on April 14 at The Arcadian Court in Toronto. Sommeliers will be tested on their wine knowledge and theory, the excellence and finesse of their service skills and their ability to taste and identify wines, spirits and/or other beverages in a white-knuckle, blind taste test.