OTTAWA — The winners of the 15th edition of the Canadian Brewing Awards (CBAs) were presented at the annual conference, held at the Ottawa Conference and Event Centre.
This year’s competition featured more than 1,700 entries from 333 breweries and cideries across Canada, and saw the introduction of updated eligibility rules, which required participating breweries to be majority Canadian-owned.
The top winners of the 2017 CBAs were Indie Alehouse — whose Spadina Monkey Sour Cherry was awarded Beer of the Year — and Brewery of the Year, B.C.-based Mt. Begbie Brewing Company.
The awards also recognized top beers and ciders in more than 60 categories. Category winners include:
• European Style Lager (Pilsner) — Big Rock Brewery, Pilsner
• Wheat Beer – Belgian Style (Wit) — les 3 Brasseurs, La Blanche
• Brown Ale — Corsaire Microbrasserie, Corsaire Brown Ale
• Oatmeal Stout — Frank Brewing Co., Simple Man
• North American Style Premium Lager — HogsBack Brewing Co, Vintage Lager
• Cream Ale — Mt. Begbie Brewing Company, Begbie Cream Ale
• Fruit Beer or Field Beer — Blood Brothers Brewing, Fall of Thebes – Cherry
• New World Cider — Thornbury Village Craft Beer, Premium Apple Cider
• Cider with Other Fruit — Bulwark Cider, Bulwark Blush
A complete list of CBAs winners is available at canadianbrewingawards.com.