CHICAGO — The National Restaurant Association (NRA) has named the recipients of its 2017 Food and Beverage (FABI) Awards, recognizing innovative food-and-beverage products that make a significant impact in the restaurant industry.
This year’s 36 recipients were selected by an independent panel of experts, representing a variety of commercial and non-commercial industry segments, based on their positive benefits to restaurant operators and consumers.
“The FABI Awards offer restaurant operators an inside look at the future of food and beverage as the industry continues to innovate and move forward,” says Atour Eyvazian, convention chair for NRA Show 2017 and multi-unit owner of 107 Jack in the Box restaurants. “It’s very exciting to discover new flavours, on-trend menu items and delicious food that’s both nutritious and allergy-friendly.”
Some of the2017 award winners include:
• The Beyond Burger, Beyond Meat — the world’s first plant-based burger that looks, cooks and satisfies like fresh ground beef
• Barrilitos Aguas Frescas, The Coca-Cola Company — this line of aguasfrescas consists of lightly sweetened, flavour-enhanced water beverages available in seven flavours, including fruit fusions and authentic Mexican flavours
• Sahale Snacks Bars, The J.M. Smucker Company — each snack bar pairs Sahle Snacks signature glazed nuts with fruits and spices blended in crispy puffed ancient grains and layered on creamy cashew-nut butter
• Gardein Meatless Italian Pizza Crumbles, Pinnacle Foods Group — this versatile, completely vegan meatless pork crumble simulates the texture and flavour of real pork meat
• Truffle Zest, Sabatino Tartufi — a powdered form of truffles perfect for seasoning pastas, pizzas, potatoes, vegetables, eggs, rice, meats and more
• Fabanaise, Sir Kensington’s — this vegan mayonnaise utilizes aquafaba, a natural byproduct of the chickpea cooking process, as the egg replacement, creating a more natural-tasting mayo product
Each award recipient and their product will be showcased throughout the exhibit halls at the NRA Show 2017, held from May 20 to 23 at McCormick Place in Chicago. A complete list of the 2017 FABI Awards recipients can be found at show.restaurant.org.