TORONTO — Fourteen Ontario chefs and Ocean-Wise partners will battle it out at the annual Ocean Wise Seafood Chowder Chowdown in Toronto, on Nov. 14.
The culinary heavyweights will be competing for the title of 2017 Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Champion, as judged by a panel of industry and media representatives. Guests will also have their say by casting their vote for the People’s Choice Award winner.
“Toronto continues to grow its support of sustainable seafood as more chefs join the program and consumers can increasingly find the Ocean-Wise symbol on menus and in fish markets,” says Ann-Marie Copping, manager of the Ocean Wise seafood program. “This event is essentially a party to celebrate that, featuring some of the most notable names in Ontario’s restaurant industry and some of the region’s top breweries, too.”
Ontario wine and beer will also be highlighted, as well as Walter Caesar — Canada’s only Ocean Wise Caesar mix.
This year’s competitors include:
• The Beverly on Locke — chef Rory O’Leary
• Bistro ’67 — chef Raul Sojo
• Bruce Wine Bar — chefs Chris Torgis and Joel Gray
• Centennial College: The Local Café and Restaurant — chef Nick Moore
• Cluny Bistro & Boulangerie — chef Murray McDonald
• Distillery Events and Archeo — chef de cuisine Joshua Dyer
• Le Sélect Bistro — chef Laura Maxwell
• Loka — chef Dave Mottershall
• PORT Restaurant — chef Samantha Joyce
• Pure Spirits Oyster House & Grill — chef Danny Chae
• The Restaurant at Peninsula Ridge Winery — executive chef Matt Hemmingsen
• Rodney’s Oyster House — chef Rodrigo de Romana
• Scout Canning — chef Charlotte Langley
• Soco Kitchen + Bar — chef Keith Pears