VINELAND, Ont. —Twelve Ontario wineries are heading to New York City today to present their cool- climate VQA wines at Bar Boulud.
“Ontario wineries are excited to be going back to one of the most exciting wine markets in the world. This is an excellent opportunity for media and trade to taste some of the best examples of our key varietals including Riesling, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc and Gamay Noir”, said Sylvia Augaitis, executive director of Marketing at the Wine Marketing Association of Ontario. “People around the globe know us for our excellence in icewine and now they can experience our amazing table wine story.”
Ontario wine continues to gain attention at home and abroad. “As a sommelier, I am always searching for wines that speak of place: wines that are balanced with fruit, acid and structure; wines that have the ability to age but also that are easy to drink while relatively young; wines that belong on the dinner table. Wines of Ontario have all of these things and more,” said Michael Madrigale, wine director for Bar Boulud and Boulud Sud in New York City.
The 12 VQA Wineries of Ontario include:
- Bachelder, Niagara Peninsula
- Cave Spring Cellars, Niagara Escarpment
- Closson Chase, Prince Edward County
- Flat Rock Cellars, Niagara Escarpment
- Henry of Pelham Family Estate, Niagara Escarpment
- Hidden Bench Vineyards and Winery, Niagara Escarpment
- Malivoire Wine Company, Niagara Escarpment
- Norman Hardie Winery and Vineyard, Prince Edward County
- Peller Estates Winery, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Stratus, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Tawse Winery, Niagara Escarpment
- Vineland Estates Winery, Niagara Escarpment