Recipe by Monin Flavor Team
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
125 ml (1/2 cup) apple cider vinegar
125 ml (1/2) cup) warm water
50 ml (1/4 cup) pomegranate syrup
8 ml (1.5 tsp) Kosher salt
680 g (1.5 pounds) 80% lean ground beef chuck
25 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
4 burger buns, split in half
25 ml (2 tbsp) butter, melted
340 g (12 ounce) brie, sliced thick
500 ml (2 cups) mayonnaise
freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine vinegar, water, pomegranate syrup and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together until salt is fully dissolved.
- Place onion in a jar or bowl (preferably in a mason jar). Pour vinegar mixture over the onions and let sit at room temperature for at least one hour. Cover the jar or bowl and place in refrigerator for at least one day. Pickled onions will last for a few weeks when stored in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the grill or flat grill for medium-high heat.
- Form ground beef into four patties that are each 170 grams (six ounces), on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Fatten the patties so that they are slightly larger than the diameter of the buns.
- Drizzle patties with a little oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill patties, oiled-side-down, for three minutes or until they are browned on bottom.
- Turn patties over and top with cheese. For medium-rare doneness, cook between three to four minutes. If necessary, close grill to help melt the cheese.
- Brush cut sides of buns slightly with butter and grill, oiled-side-down, for about one minute or until lightly toasted.
- Remove buns and burgers from grill and allow burgers to rest for three minutes.
- Liberally spread mayonnaise over bun tops and bottoms. Mound a generous amount of pickled red onions on the bottom bun. Place burgers atop red onions. Top with the bun crown.