Recipe by Char|Cut Roast House
450 g (1 lb) ground pork shoulder
1 bulb garlic; roasted, cooled and squeezed
10 ml (2 tsp) white wine
5 ml (1 tsp) kosher salt
1 pinch sugar
1 pinch ground coriander
1 pinch white pepper
1 pinch cracked black pepper
1 pinch ground mace
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
500 ml (2 cups) cheese curds
Piri Piri Aioli
50 ml (1/4 cup) aioli (or mayonnaise)
15 ml (1 tbsp) piri piri sauce
1. Pre-heat grill to medium-high. Chill the bowl and paddle of a stand mixer in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
2. To roast garlic, pre-heat oven to 200° C (400° F). Cut off the top of the garlic bulb to expose the cloves inside. Place roots down on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil and seal foil package. Roast for 20 minutes. Allow to cool, and squeeze out roasted garlic paste.
3. Add the pork to the bowl with the roasted garlic paste, spices, sugar and salt. Mix on low speed with hook attachment until spices are incorporated.
4. Turn mixer speed to medium-high and add the white wine. Mix until the meat becomes tacky and sticks to the sides of the bowl — about two minutes.
5. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Divide the mixture into four equal balls and form each ball into a patty about one centimetre thick. Space patties out on cookie sheet, cover them with plastic wrap and set them aside in the refrigerator for one to two hours.
6. Cut the buns in half and lightly butter both cut sides of each bun. Drizzle the chilled burger patties lightly with olive oil, rub to coat, and place on the grill. Cook for about four minutes, then flip. The burgers are ready when the internal temperature reaches 68° C (155° F) or when the juices run clear.
7. Move the burgers to a cooler part of the grill and top with the cheese curds. Place the buns on the grill, cut-side down, for about 30 seconds. Remove the buns to a platter and close the grill lid to help the cheese curds melt.
8. Spread piri piri aioli on the bottom half of each burger bun. Place a burger patty on top, finish with pickles (optional) and the top half of the bun.