MONTREAL — SIAL Canada announced the winners of its international extra-virgin olive-oil contest at its annual tradeshow, held May 2 to 4 in Montreal.
Twelve winners in several categories, along with several jury favourites, were chosen from an international selection of olive oils submitted by global producers. For the first time, this year’s awards also featured a special organic prize.
Nearly 150 olive oils from 12 countries were in the running for this year’s awards. Each olive oil was blind-tasted by a jury made up of olive-oil experts, in accordance with the standards set out by the International Olive Council.
Organized as part of SIAL Canada, the Olive d’Or contest aims to continue to improve the quality of the extra-virgin olive oils available on the North American market.
The winning extra-virgin olive oils include:
Golden Drop Award Winners
• Oliveira da Serra Oliveirinha — Sovena Portugal Consumer Goods (Portugal)
• Oliveira da Serra Gourmet — Sovena Portugal Consumer Goods (Portugal)
• Sogno del Pinzimonio — Caliptra & Mignola (Italy)
• Mueloliva Picuda — Muela Olives (Spain)
Silver Drop Winners
• Herdade de Vale de Arca Premium — HVA Lda (Portugal)
• Vieiru Organic DOP Gata Hurdes — Almazara as pontis Agropecuaria carrasco (Spain)
• Parqueoliva serie oro —– Almazaras de la subbetica (Spain)
• Knolive Epicure — Knolives Oils (Spain)
Bronze Drop Winners
• Arroyo Seco Blend – Beyond The Olive (United States)
• Oro bailen arbequina – Aceites Oro Bailen (Spain)
• Frantoio Franci IGP Toscano – Frantoio Franci (Italy)
• Villa Magra – Frantoio Franci (Italy)
• Saloio Cepaal (Portugal); Goya organics – Goya en Espana (Spain)
• Ol Istria Agrolaguna (Croatia)
• Guadagnolo Primus Fattoria Ramerino (Italy)
• Saloio Cepaal (Portugal)
The winners of the organic and design awards were Oriviera Bio Agromed (Tunisia) and Ena ena Hellenic Fields (Greece).