1lb (450 g) pork skin, fat removed and diced
3 cups (750 mL) water
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
Place all ingredients in pot and bring to boil. Bring to a simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Strain and dry in 180°F (80°C) oven for six hours or until completely dry.
Place dried pork skin in 350°F (175°C) frying oil until it puffs nicely.
Remove and season with salt.
If desired, lightly smoke with Applewood chips for 10 to 15 minutes.
3/4 cup bacon (cut into batons)
1/3 cup salted butter
2 cups diced celeriac
2 cups diced onion
1 cup diced leeks
1 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups spot prawn base
1 1/2 cups fish stock
1 1/2 cups cream
2 cups diced tomato
1 1/4 cups diced potato
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp finely chopped Italian parsley
1 tsp finely chopped thyme
20 raw B.C. spot prawns, split in half
Prawns can be substituted for any type of seafood, however, this may require the seafood to be cooked differently.
- Heat sauce pan over medium heat and add bacon and butter.
- Once melted and bacon has begun to render, add celeriac, onion, leeks and carrots.
- Sauté until vegetables become translucent, add flour, and mix until incorporated.
- Cook for about five minutes on low heat and then deglaze with white wine.
- Once alcohol is cooked off (about one minute) add Ocean Wise Spot Prawn Base and fish stock and turn heat back up to medium.
- Add cream and tomatoes and potatoes.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes on a gentle simmer and then add vinegar, parsley and thyme.
- Stir in the prawns and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
To Serve: Lightly poach and peel six quail eggs (or small eggs). Place chowder in a bowl of your choice and garnish with soft poached egg and chicharrón.