Courtesy of chef David Chang,, Noodle Bar Toronto
10 large clams, shucked
4 pieces bacon, diced
1½ cups chopped onion
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
2 oz white wine
½ cup flour
1 cup 18 per cent cream
- In a small pot, bring two litres of water to a boil. Blanch the clams for five minutes.
- Remove from water and place in an ice bath.
- Cut the clams in half and set aside. Keep the water that was used to blanch the clams.
- In a medium sauce pot, sauté the bacon until slightly crispy, add the onions. Cook for about two minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine.
- Add the blanching water from the clams to the medium sauce pot.
- Add the potatoes and the cream. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the clams.
- Add the flour to thicken the soup.
- Season to taste.