Ontario Promising $300 Million for Restaurants

0
495

TORONTO — Premier Doug Ford has announced $300 million in financial relief for restaurants impacted by last week’s temporary indoor-dining closures in three Ontario hotspots. On Friday, in the wake of record-high COVID-19 cases in the province, Ford closed indoor dining for at least 28 days in Toronto, Peel and Ottawa. Ford says the money will help offset fixed costs, including property taxes, hydro and natural-gas bills.

The government is also supporting small business through its Main Street Recovery Plan by:

  • Committing to permanently allow licensed restaurants and bars to include alcohol with food as part of a takeout or delivery order before the existing regulation expires
  • Permanently allowing 24/7 deliveries to restaurants
  • Supporting the distribution of local food and food products by increasing the range of products sold at the Ontario Food Terminal
  • Ending outdated and duplicative rules so businesses can focus on their work
  • Modernizing regulations to allow businesses to innovate and meet the challenges of today
  • Providing mental-health supports to business owners and employees who are struggling
  • Providing $57 million with federal partners through the Digital Main Street program and creating new Digital Main Street squads to help small businesses grow online
  • Launching a new portal to assist small businesses to quickly find the supports and information they need

“Families and entrepreneurs across Ontario have poured their hearts into local restaurants and diners. They’ve been there for us, from donating to charities to sponsoring little league sports,” says Ford. “To support them during these tough times, our government is making millions available to provide relief for fixed costs. I’m also calling on everyone in Ontario to rally around our small businesses by ordering takeout or delivery. Together, we can make a huge difference.”

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.