MONTREAL – A new take on chocolates won the day at this year’s SIAL Innovation Contest.
Montreal-based Essence Glacier’s entry of assorted chocolates with sorbet and ice cream centres are neither a chocolate nor a frozen treat, but rather a combination of the two. “It’s an ice cream encapsulated in chocolate and it’s demonstrating a very new process,” said Nicolas Trentesaux, SIAL Network director.
The Innovation Contest, which began in France, is now held at SIAL shows around the world. More than 100 products were originally submitted for this year’s Montreal edition and a panel of local foodservice experts whittled the list down to 10 finalists from Spain, Canada, the U.S. and Greece.
“Each product is evaluated for its innovative dimension,” said Trentesaux. “Is it bringing something new? Is it adding a new dimension for the consumer?”
For every event, SIAL assembles a local jury and the event is managed by a third-party to ensure legitimacy.
As the 2016 Grand Prize winner, Essence Glacier receives more than $135,000 in prizes. Nielsen will provide $50,000 to help Essence get their product to market and the SIAL Network will arrange for free exhibition space at all of the SIAL events, including China, the Philippines, Indonesia, Paris and Abu Dhabi.
Essence Glacier is one of more than 928 exhibitors from 50 countries at the SIAL Montreal show, which covers 200,000 sq.-ft. over two levels at the Palais des Congrès and includes more than 50 workshops and conferences.
· Heritage Ham Trio by Arturo Sánchez, Spain
· Assorted Chocolates with Sorbet and Ice Cream Centres by Essence Glacier, Canada
· Chios Gardens Fruit Juices, Greece
· Date Bites by Bard Valley, United States
· Salmon Tartare by Grizzly, Canada
· Et Voilà! Camelina Oil by Olimega, Canada
· Snack-Format Ham by Arturo Sánchez, Spain
· Poutine Bites by St-Hubert, Canada
· Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Cake by Bleumer, Canada
· MesurACC Labelling Verification System by Étiquetage ACC Inc., Canada