TORONTO — Chef Amanda Ray from Oliver & Bonacini’s Canteen Restaurant was named the winner of last night’s Gold Medal Plates competition on Toronto. Chefs Albet Ponzo of Le Sélect Bistro and Ravine Estates Winery Restaurant’s Ross Midgley joined Ray on the podium, earning silver and bronze medals respectively.
The event, which took place at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, is the latest in Gold Medal Plates’ cross-country tour. So far this year, the competition has hit seven Canadian cities, raising funds for Canada’s high-performance athletes, while celebrating Canadian excellence.
Ray, along with the winning chef from each city, will advance to the Gold Medal Plates Finale — the Canadian Culinary Championships — in Kelowna, B.C. in February.
Winners of Gold Medal Plates’ 2016 regional competitions include:
- Calgary – Jinhee Lee, Vintage Chophouse
- Edmonton – Eric Hanson, Prairie Noodle Shop
- Halifax – Mark Gray, Battery Park Beer Bar & Eatery
- Montreal – Sophie Tabet, Chez Sophie
- Regina – Garrett Thienes, Harvest Eatery and Fresh Market
- Saskatoon – Scott Torgerson, Radisson Hotel Saskatoon and Aroma Resto Bar
- St. John’s – Ruth Wigman, Oppidan
Three more competitions remain leading up to the Canadian Culinary Championships. Events are set to take place in Ottawa, Winnipeg and Victoria before the end of November.