Recipe created for Club House for Chefs’ Taste Dinner by Ted Corrado, corporate executive chef of The Drake Properties.
1/4 cup garam masala
1/4 cup cumin, ground
2 L duck fat
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1. Season lamb shoulder with garam masala and cumin and sear.
2. Place seared lamb in duck fat and heat until it just starts to simmer.
3. Place in oven at 350°F for approximately 3 hours, periodically checking to see if it’s tender.
4. When tender, pull the lamb shoulder out of the duck fat and portion accordingly.
5. Spoon channa masala onto the plate. Place lamb shoulder on top and place the crispy cauliflower around the protein.
6. Garnish with cilantro
1 onion, minced
100 ml olive oil
1 cup black chickpeas, cooked
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp cumin, ground
2 tbsp ginger, ground
1 litre canned tomatoes
250 ml lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
1. Heat oil in a wide skillet and add onions. Sauté until they are translucent.
2. Add the chickpeas, garam masala, cumin, ginger, tomatoes, lemon juice and about 1/2 cup of chicken stock.
3. Bring to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in cilantro and season with sea salt.
1. Cut cauliflower into small florets. Dredge in cornstarch and deep fry at 325°F until crispy.
Serves 6 to 8